Monday, April 13, 2015

Food is Love


My Awareness about food started when I was 14 years old. I wanted to become vegetarian, but 21 years ago it was not so easy, I say. It takes a good degree of soul searching and some effort to make fundamental lifestyle changes like this. Being mindful about your body, about what you eat and what it does to you, is really a way of life, a day to day work, a meal to meal practice. And I love it!
I feel the LOVE just visiting a local green market, but most of all I lovit when I put my hands on it! Cooking is for me the most beautiful witchcraft of all times. And I love to eat! I love food!
Now, as a #newmom I really think about what my child's "comfort food" is going to be. I once read somewhere "Comfort food is often what our caregivers gave us when we were children". Eating is up there as the most highly emotionally charged human activity, linked deeply with memories of family, love, comfort, good times, and sometimes bad times. And it comes with deeply in-grained patterns, beliefs, and habits.
So I really want my choices to center on what's best for her's true welfare (and mine's). If some old ways of relating to food get in the way of that, then those things must go. I don't want to use food to cover up insecurities or feelings of unfulfillment, or even spiritual emptiness. But I know food to be comforting and healing (whatever needs to be healed) because for me food is medicine #FoodisLove .

~ Ana Silva Agostinho
#foodiemom


Some of my favorite recipes to try with little ones:

Aubergine & Sweet Potato Mash
1 aubergine or zucchini
1 sweet potato
3 tbsp cold pressed olive oil or organic butter

Cut the vegetables into small pieces, boil them in water for 10-15 minutes, until soft;
Purée in a food processor or mash with a fork, let cool slightly;
Add the olive oil or butter and stir.

Beans & Herbs
1 cup / 250 ml cooked beans or lentils
5 leaves of fresh herbs (parsley, cilantro, basil…)
3 tbsp cold-pressed olive oil or organic butter

Cook the beans according to the package;
Puree beans and herbs in a food processor or mash with a fork;
Add olive oil or butter and mix.

Lemon Quinoa
1/2 cup uncooked white or red quinoa
1 cup water
Few drops of Lemon

Rinse and drain the quinoa, place in a small saucepan with the water. Bring to the boil, lower the heat immediately and let gently simmer for 15 minutes;
Drain any excess water;
Set aside to cool;
Mix with oil or butter and a squeeze of lemon or orange juice.

Enjoy!


#sacredbeginnings
#sacredlivingmovement
#sacredpregnancy

Explore more of Sacred Beginnings program:


No comments:

Post a Comment