Saturday, March 28, 2015

Mothering yoga


More on our inspiring #yogimama #sacredrituals series! 

Today Kari Edwards, I just love her share on motherhood yoga (and her photos!) these are just a few of the things I learned from her:

Let them choose what feels good:
"Downward dog is one of those poses that all children seem to instinctually do. It's a beautiful beginners inversion that gives you many of the same benefits as more advanced inversions, including improving circulation, boosting immunity, increasing energy and bringing new perspective to our world. With benefits like these it's no wonder that children love being upside down!"


Make time for yourself (and yoga!):
"Take those few moments while your baby sleeps to nurture yourself."


"This morning while the others were still sleepy, Mio and I enjoyed some very fun yoga play together. Mio loves it when I'm upside down, here she was trying her hardest to put her bottom on my head, there were lots of giggles from the both of us."

Let yoga expand your life:
"Through yoga I see my children develop strength and build focus while having so much fun. I love observing our acro yoga practice grow and change as the both get bigger, I hope that they will continue to love practicing with me when they are much, much bigger and that we can continue to use yoga to deepen our connections and explore life together."


Listen to your body when it's time to stop (and a still body can give so much insight to the soul):
"With so much to do in everyday family life, in my creative pursutes and in my life as a yogi I've always struggled to just surrender in the rare times I find myself unwell. After recently having a kidney infection I had no choice but to drop everything (parenting included) and let my body heal. Being unable to do anything I had plenty of time to think about the deeper levels of yoga and to focus on my breath, and to just be at peace with not being able to move my body in the ways that I wanted to in that moment. The infection has healed but I'm still in that weird limbo state of feeling like I can and should be doing something but know that I just need to take it easy. I'm looking forward to exploring asana deeply again but the lesson in surrendering to what is happening now and what I need in this moment has been a very valuable one. Remember to nurture yourselves and appreciate your body that does so many truely amazing things."

Follow your needs as a parent:
"Arm balances are fun and challenging, they build strength, balance and concentration - all of which you can use off the mat and in your daily life as a parent. Definitely something worth exploring in your practice."

Connect:
"I love connecting with my daughter through yoga. She's wonderfully strong willed and feisty and I find that in the times that she's struggling with her emotions yoga helps us both to move gracefully though the challenges."


~ Kari Edwards
Mother to two

So grateful to her, and all mothers that share their path with such light to others.

Grateful there is more Inspiration at her Blog and Facebook page:

#sacredbeginnings
#sacredlivingmovement
#sacredpregnancy

And
Explore more of Sacred Beginnings program:

No comments:

Post a Comment